Last 15

 I started this journey on 25th of July 2022 with an aim of presenting relatable perspectives and experiences to those closest to me. That was 4 years ago, the 20 year old boy who started this blog would be proud that 4 years later he can still visit and refer to it. The first inkling I had that maybe it was a good idea to share VERY personal and sometimes embarrassing experiences and takes was in 2017. I wrote a short story about "Ariel and Ronnie", which was  what you'd expect from a 15 year old love-lorn boy. A sappy dramatic tale of love. I mostly expected it to be a series of personal drafts I would later adapt to wattpad. To my surprise the book became a cult classic, I was being asked if I had progressed the story, being given compliments on how vivid and descriptive it was and ultimately having the manuscript stolen  Those who knew me then would remember a little black book where I used to write about my thought processes and experiences, a little black book I fortunately still have. My first public journal and in many ways the reason I'm doing this now.

I remember seeing the numbers on the blog and getting obsessed. Over 100 views on my pioneering 5 articles. It gave me a reason and purpose to keep writing and expressing to see people quote my words like some great author. It felt amazing to talk about my writing to the numerous new friends I have made during my time on this blog. Then the reposts and interest faded and suddenly I was struggling to get even over 10 views on here. This was about 6 months into the genesis of the blog. I had had a history of unfinished business. A taint I have since come to work on but at the time plagued me. I didn't want this to be yet another instance where I start something I lose interest in along the way, so I decided to alter my perspective. I'd no longer write to be remarkable or relatable, I'd write to express myself. I'd write in a way that I couldn't express in person. I'd write about things I could talk to nobody about. This was partially due to my exposure to Fydor Dostoevky a popular writer who I feel best encapsulates what it is to bleed out in ink over paper.

In 2023 most of the curtains I had over my young unseasoned eyes fell. I saw how easy it was to lose your grip on anything you had no focus over. It was a struggle to find anybody who would relate to what I felt and expressed so I again turned to my blog and chose to write it all down. I remember sometimes being unable to sleep, turning on my comfort album 'Good kid Maad City' and just going crazy on my keyboard. It came to a point I couldn't even promote my writing because it was too reflective of what was going on in my life and I wondered how it would reflect on my image. This again challenged me to grow. I know of the saying "Usifanane shida zako" but I decided to embrace and experience that season fully. If you read any of my articles from late 2023 you'll see what I mean. Again, that's the period that set the pace of what this blog became. A place where I could express fully without the need to care about what my audience and friends would think

Fast forward and now people barely talk to me about my writing anymore. It looks like schizophrenic verbatim to most but surprisingly I've never been more satisfied and proud of my writing. I'm proud because even in it's evolution it's still maintained its genuine nature and bold expression. Now this blog has become a trophy to me, a mirror I can look at to reflect on my state of mind and thinking during the onset of my adulthood. A gift in many ways to my future self. Now onto what I wanted to say pertaining its future. I have found new ways to express my creativity and I have seen the full life cycle of my blog. I think it's time to retire the YKD blog as the next stage of artistic evolution. I will however write 15 more articles for my small remaining audience which will bring the total to 80 articles. I'm open to public participation on any of the topics you'd like to see if you're reading this. IT'S BEEN AMAZING

Comments

  1. Its been a pleasure for sure 💯💯💯

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts